Free activities planned for Dementia Action Week in the Cotswolds
Dementia Action Week
Monday 21st May to Friday 25th May 2018
Various venues across the area
Cotswold District Council has joined forces with the Alzheimer's Society and several local organisations to organise the Cotswold Dementia Action Week from May 21-25.
The public are invited to the following free events across the district which are designed to highlight the range of activities that people with dementia can enjoy.
Although the events will probably be of most value to those with dementia and their carers, anyone who wants to find out more about the condition and the activities on offer is encouraged to attend.
Monday 21 May
- Stitch, Knit and Natter at The Churn Project, 14-16 The Waterloo, Cirencester (10am - noon).
- 'Look Again' photography workshop with Ruth Davey at George Moore Community Centre, Bourton-on-the-Water (1.15pm - 3pm). Numbers are limited - please call 01285 623405 to book a place.
- 'Gloucestershire Dementia Strategy and Communities' talk with Rachel Peak from 2gether NHS Foundation Trust at George Moore Community Centre, Bourton-on-the-Water (3 pm - 4.15 pm)
Tuesday 22 May
- Outdoor event at Bourton-on-the-Water (12 noon - 3pm) Begins with health walk at village green. Will also include Thai Chi and Art sessions for all abilities, information about dementia and support. Twiddle Muffs, and 'Let's Talk about Dementia' board game.
- Gentle exercise session for all abilities at The Churn Project, Cirencester (2.30pm - 4pm) - please call 01285 380038 to book a place.
Wednesday 23 May
- Dementia awareness session at Moreton Area Centre, Moreton-in-Marsh (10am - noon). Please call Cotswold Friends on 01608 651415 to book a place.
- Art session for all abilities at The Churn Project, Cirencester (3.15pm - 4.15pm) - please call 01285 380038 to book a place.
Thursday 24 May
- Inclusive workshop to view a range of objects through time, Corinium Museum, Cirencester. Please call 01285 655611 to book a place. Attendees with dementia must be accompanied by carers for support.
- North Cotswold Community Dementia Day event at Mill House Care Home, Chipping Campden (5pm - 7.30pm)
- Health Walk - start at Churn Project Office, Cirencester for cup of tea before walk at 10.30am).
- Meet the 'Men in Sheds' at Fire Station, Cirencester (2pm - 4pm) - please call 01285 380038 to book a place.
- 'Gloucestershire Dementia Strategy and Communities' talk with Rachel Peak from 2gether NHS Foundation Trust at Churn Project, Cirencester (2pm - 3.15pm). Please call 01285 380038 to book a place.
- 'North Cotswold Community Day - Chipping Campden a dementia friendly town!' - community event in garden of Mill House Care Home, 50 Sheep Street, Chipping Campden. Lots of activities for all ages, food and drinks. Also features Chipping Campden Baptist Church choir (4pm - 7pm).
Friday 25 May
- Gentle walk and talk at Birdland Park and Gardens, Bourton-on-the-Water (10.30am-11.30am). Please call 01285 623405 to book a place. Attendees with dementia must be accompanied by carers for support.
- Advice and information market stall with Jennie Gray of Alzheimer's Society at Cirencester Market. Twiddle Muffs and Twiddle Board, Young Neighbours volunteers and 'Let's talk about dementia' board game (9 am - 3 pm).
Commenting on this initiative, CDC Cabinet Member for Health, Cllr Stephen Hirst, said: "Dementia Action week provides some great opportunities for people across the district to find out more about this condition, particularly those who will benefit most from advice and information about sources of support.
"Promoting awareness should also help to break down barriers and increase general understanding about dementia in the Cotswolds. I will be attending the 24 May event at Chipping Campden and I look forward to a memorable occasion."
More details about the Cotswold Dementia Action Week are available at